Business & Performance
Within the Programmes Directorate, the B&P Directorate has accountability for centrally supervising the business part of the Programmes:
- Provides the functional home and `centre of competence' for project management, project control and commercial/contract management support to the projects.
- Centrally manages the corresponding skills and seconds into the sector and other directorates the required resources to maintain overall consistency of business and project management processes.
- Domestic Commercial Operations Mission Statement
- Ensures that all projects have adequate controls in place in terms of resourced schedules, work breakdown structure, work package descriptions and cost collection systems, monitoring and collating the internal and external reports of project performance against these topics.
- Supports budget achievement by proposing adequate measures to balance risks and opportunities.
- Co-ordinating each sector's business plan targets (annual and five year) and associated achievements.
- Defines sales milestone plans with adequate programme schedule, deliveries and cost monitoring strategies.
- Manages the projects cost-at-completion activities and monitoring, reporting and forecasting cost-at-completion outcomes, and supporting the finance directorate for establishing and maintaining forecast margin outturn.
- Ensures that all bids for new work are established in accordance with company processes and reviewing/approving all bids to ensure that business plan objectives can be achieved.
- Manages the project and commercial interfaces with the customer
- Manages the customer acceptance of contract deliverables
- Establishes and maintains an overall workload forecast
- Establishes and maintains necessary processes and tool sets for project and contract management activities including the associated internal and external reporting.
Export Contract Management
- Ensure the company's business interests are safeguarded through the contract execution phase of the programmes, mitigating commercial risks and potential customer claims/disputes and maximising profitability by devising appropriate strategies for the resolution of disputes arising from non-performance and possible liquidated damages claims.
- Maintain, including the negotiation and agreement of amendments, the formal contractual documentation with all export customers.
- Participate to the establishment of the formal contract documentation with all export customers, ensuring the commercial efficacy of bids and proposals.
- Provide a repository for all formal correspondence with the customer.
- Manage the export licence process and the administrative clearances
Project Management Office
The main responsibilities of the Project Management Office are:
- Provides the `centre of Competence' for project management and project control.
- Provides project control support to the projects.
- Establishes and maintains the processes, guides, forms and templates of the processes to manage projects, contracts and programmes.
- Establishes and maintains an overall workload forecast data base.
- Establishes, maintains and continuously improves a coherent set of tools and processes to enable the efficient management of schedule and cost and to enable consistent reporting across projects.
- Provides training for programme management, project management (including work package management) and project control.
Project Business & Performance Management
In the summary the key responsibilities are:
- Coordinate and lead the activities of the Project Business Team(s) within each sector.
- Provide project management excellence and supporting compliance to contract in terms of programme schedule and cost, including the management of the cost at completion.
- Prepare the annual and five year business plan targets at an overall programme directorate level and the breakdown for each sector/project.
- Report project progress and performance against all aspects of the contract and establish and maintain the internal company standard monthly project reporting pack(s).
- Manage the day-to-day project interfaces to the customer, in particular ensuring compliance with contractual aspects, producing the formal reports required by the contracts and to developing and maintaining customer satisfaction.
- Manage the formal delivery and acceptance of contract deliverables to the customer.
- Implement and manage the risk and opportunity management process ensuring topical R&O registers are maintained together with appropriate mitigation strategies deployed and an adequate contingency budget within each project cost-at-completion
- Support Sales & Business Development in the acquisition of new business by taking a lead role within the programme directorates for any bids.
- Support the Sector Heads and Programme Directors in pursuing opportunities to grow the existing business
- Support the definition of the future order scenario for work load forecasting. Establish and maintain the project work load forecast against the scenario detailing the forward requirement for skills to maintain the project schedule for current contracts and for future possible contracts
Project Business Team
The Project Business Team supports the Head of Project/Chief Engineer by providing a focus on the business activities and contributing on a day to day basis to the project when dealing with business, contractual and customer/supplier matters in relation with the project.
The Project Business Team includes all or part of the following seconded functions:
- Business & Performance Manager, leading the team
- Project Control staff
- Domestic Commercial Operations staff
- Export Contracts Managers
- Procurement Managers
- Finance Controllers.
The Procurement Managers and the Finance Controllers report respectively to the Procurement Executive and the sector Financial Controller. The latter are involved by their representatives in the team for important and/or difficult issue. The domestic commercial managers, the export contract managers and the project controllers who are seconded to the team report to their home functions.