System Design Engineer for Command & Control Subsystems
Role Title and Location: System Design Engineer for Command & Control Sub-systems, Filton
Job Ref No: P7552
MBDA: Level 3/4
Reports to: Project Head of C2
The international Command and Control (C2) function provides world class air-defence C2 sub-systems for MBDA ground and naval weapon systems to meet the current and future protection against air attack for UK armed forces and export customers on land or at sea.Systems such as Sea Viper on the Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyers and Sea Ceptor on T23 frigates rely on C2 systems designed by the team here at MBDA in Bristol.
A C2 sub-system is the heart and brains of the weapon system: it has to understand the threats to the protected assets, and plan and then manage engagements of those threats, in a complex and changing situation. We require innovative and experienced people to join the team.Working in the C2 domain in MBDA provides the opportunity to interact with all areas of the company, to see the full product development life-cycle and deliver real capability to the customers to protect their armed forces for the future.
Our main skills in the C2 function lie in the system engineering domain, mastering system architecting, product line engineering, software and hardware specifications, weapon system algorithms, sub-system verification, and software and hardware validation.These skills and the ability to interact with other areas of the weapon systems will support future career progression along a number of career paths in MBDA.
What are we looking for?
Typically we would expect candidates to have an engineering or science degree or equivalent and have some relevant experience. Previous experience in the aerospace or the defence sector would be useful, but is not essential: generally a background in systems engineering, product development, software development, or similar discipline would be suitable. Experience of working successfully as part of, or leading, a small team under programme and cost pressures would be an advantage. Hands-on experience of SysML, Rhapsody and DOORS tools would be desirable, but training will be provided where needed.
What’s in it for you?
- The work undertaken at MBDA is leading-edge and state-of-the-art: you would be part of an innovative team creating new products that push the boundaries to achieve more challenging requirements.
- You would be working on flagship programmes that represent very significant investments by our customers, and the culmination of research investment by MBDA, to create real capability to be used to defend our armed forces and those of our government’s approved export customers.
- The role provides the opportunity to develop the experience and skills for further career progression.There are excellent training opportunities in a broad range of relevant subjects, achieved through formal training courses and on-the-job training.
- There is the opportunity to work directly with colleagues from France, Italy, Germany and other countries.
- You would be joining an expanding company that has been ranked by the Sunday Times as the one of the top 25 best big companies to work for in 2019 and which has achieved the Investors in People (IIP) Gold Award.
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more….
- Be part of the team architecting the C2 and defining its functional behaviour leading to the specification of the software and hardware requirements for the C2 sub-system.
- Help to determine how the C2 sub-system will be tested, working with other functional areas of MBDA to design tests and defining criteria for acceptance.
- Supporting the preparation of sub-system safety cases and design certification for operational use of the C2 sub-system by the customer.
- Investigations into a full range of problems or developments, developing innovative approaches and using the latest tools to support the work.
What’s great about the team?
- You will be joining a project team responsible for the development of key subsystems within new weapon systems that will meet the future capability needs of the UK Armed Forces.The work undertaken by you and the team will contribute to real equipment in use for many years to come.
- Challenges will arise frequently that will demand generation of new technical solutions and agreeing the way forward to maintain the project pace.
- Have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge and operate in a matrix organisation providing access to, and joint working possibilities with, colleagues in MBDA France, Italy and Germany.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)