Weapons Systems Simulation and Experimentation 10 month Placement 2021
Weapon Systems Simulation & Experimentation 10 Month Placement
The Weapon Systems Simulation & Experimentation (WSSE) department designs and develops leading-edge software applications used to support battlefield simulations; working in close collaboration with subject matter experts from across Land, Sea and Air defence programmes.
The simulations that WSSE develop evolve in line with the lifecycle of the projects. In the early stages, WSSE supports demonstrations and visualisation of concepts. As the System design evolves, components will be evolved to support operator-in-the loop experiments with End Users and Customers to answer System questions. As real components become available, a plug-and-play approach allows the simulated components to be swapped for real software and hardware, to support system integration. Finally, the simulated components are evolved into a synthetic training system to train End Users.
What’s the opportunity?
You will be learning about and contributing to the development and implementation of simulation software and operator-in-the-loop experiments to support some of the world’s most advanced future defence systems.
You will be involved in:
- Delivering key projects, alongside highly experienced engineers, across the whole of the MBDA development lifecycle.
- Working with other areas of the business such as Human Factors, Future Systems and Sales and Business Development.
- Working directly with customer representatives and military personnel in order to both extend and demonstrate our current and future capabilities.
Your role will give you:
- Exposure to the software development lifecycle, including Agile and Waterfall.
- Exposure to a large programme lifecycle.
- On the job training for learning new programming languages and software tools.
- Opportunity for a wide variety of work, including lab-based tasks and working with hardware, allowing you to develop in different areas, and shape the placement based on your interests.
- A mixture of team working and independent working.
- Potential to travel to other locations within the UK or Europe to be involved in collaborative projects or to trade shows to demonstrate our simulators.
What's in it for you?
You'll no doubt have seen all the information on our website about our comprehensive and customisable benefits package. For a reminder click here (please note that not all benefits are available to our summer placement and undergraduate students).
What are we looking for?
Currently studying towards a Degree in a science or engineering discipline such as Computer Science, Software Engineering or Mathematics, or a related subject.
Experience of some of the following:
- Software Engineering.
- System Engineering.
- Object-orientated Programming in C-like Languages (C++, C#, Java).
- Development Environments (Visual Studio, Eclipse).
- Networking & Networking Protocols.
- Algorithms (Flight dynamics, rotational geometry).
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
All graduates, undergraduates and apprentices at MBDA are required to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to their respective role. Some roles, may be reserved for UK nationals and certain categories of information may be restricted to UK nationals also. To gain suitable clearance individuals will need to have lived in UK for up to 5 years dependent on the level of clearance required.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)