MBDA is a leading defence organisation that is proud to support our Armed Forces in protecting our nations. We collaborate with governments to achieve a shared goal of defending our freedom.Salary
: Circa £65,000
depending on experience
What we can offer you:
- Bonus of up to 21% of base salary;
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%;
- Annual salary review;
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase);
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and gym on site;
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities;
- Flexible working arrangements.
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working such as two days on site, three at home but subject to business needs.The opportunity:
You will act as a trusted Junior Legal Adviser, assisting various stakeholders throughout the business, including the senior management team. You will provide commercially orientated legal advice principally to the UK business, but also to the parent and sister companies and colleagues abroad, as required. You will also assist with company secretarial functions within the Company's and Group Legal Department.
You will work in the UK Legal Team, which currently consists of four lawyers who are firmly integrated into the wider international legal team.Your aim is to:
- ensure that the business/projects operate with minimum acceptable risk with regard to legal implications;
- ensure that the Company recognises its rights, whether contractual, or in relation to assets e.g. intellectual property, and to utilise and protect such rights;
- assist the business to avoid taking on risks/liabilities which could have a material financial and/or reputational impact on the Company;provide advice to all departments within the Company, and also provide guidance/advice across our Group;
- engage and mange external legal support (where required) within approved budgets;
- promote effective corporate governance;
- conduct horizon scanning and advise on legal and regulatory change.
Inherently the role is mixed, both in the context of the ranges of legal advice required and also by reason of the fact that responsibility is requested and taken for activities which do not fall squarely within other areas (examples: OECD, Data Protection and Freedom of Information).You will provide advice on matters including:
What we're looking for from you:
- Contractual terms (e.g. sales and marketing, procurement, R&D, co-operation and partnering and security related agreements, IT);
- Intellectual property;
- Regulatory issues;
- Treasury matters;
- Company secretarial duties, including board minutes and resolutions;
- DEFCONs and other Government/s terms;
- Provision of training, particularly to the Procurement and Commercial functions on contractual terms and conditions and DEFCONs;
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate good legal skills, who is happy to be a "generalist" and, where there are gaps in their existing legal knowledge, has a desire to learn on the job and expand their competencies. In particular, you will:
- be a qualified Solicitor or Barrister;
- have academic qualifications of LLB, BA (Law) and above, with PQE;
- have worked in a private practice law firm. Experience working in an in-house Legal team is an advantage;
- possess the ability to understand a complex situation and summarise it in a concise and easy to understand format;
- possess the skills and authority to convince clients, both in-house and external;
- be capable of interfacing easily with other functions in a multi-cultural environment;
- possess a willing, collaborative, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, even during times of rapid change;
- possess strong drafting, legal analysis and negotiating skills;
- demonstrate willingness to accept responsibility and ownership;
- have the ability to multi-task;
- be able to generate commercial risk-based solutions;
- be able to speak French or another language would be beneficial, although not essential.
What are the benefits for you?
An opportunity to learn and develop new areas of practice, as well as learn the cultural and behavioural skills necessary to work effectively in-house within a multinational Legal department in an international defence company.
Take responsibility for the development of Legal activities primarily focused on contractual and procurement matters, but including a wide variety of diverse activities too.
Develop knowledge of the products, technologies and customers within a key defence sector.
You will work in a multinational environment, with opportunities for international travel!
You will be part of a positive and supportive Legal team spread across Europe, with a mix of Civil and Common law experience.Our Business:
We value new perspectives, collaboration, and diversity. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.